Drama Games for Exploring Shakespeare
"I can only wish my English teacher had a copy of this sparky, little volume when I was first struggling with Shakespeare."
This dip-in, flick-through, quick-fire resource book, part of the bestselling Drama Games series, offers dozens of games to help bring Shakespeare’s plays to life in the classroom or rehearsal room – making them fun and accessible to actors, students, directors and teachers.
Published by Nick Hern Books, the UK's leading specialist performing arts publisher, this book offers a wide range of activities to tackle every aspect of the plays, including:
- Warm-ups and General Games to establish an atmosphere of focus, connection, support and fun – all the conditions you need for a successful session
- Story and World-building to explore the events, environments and societies of Shakespeare’s plays
- Introducing Shakespeare’s Language to help break down the text and allow participants to uncover the meaning through play and creative discovery
- Activating Shakespeare’s Language to liberate actors from the script through movement and voice-work
- Character to help develop compelling, believable performances by investigating motivations and relationships, circumstances and emotions
- Staging to help empower every member of the ensemble in moments that might be challenging to stage – such as big movement sequences, fights and battles and intimate love scenes
Whatever your reason for exploring Shakespeare – whether you’re directing a production, teaching a set text, or introducing his work to a drama club for the first time – this essential resource will give you the tools you need to demystify the language, take ownership of the plays, and find a connection to the words that resonates in our own time.
Paperback, 184 pagesISBN: 9781848429420Publication Date: 27 Apr 2023Size: 216mm x 110mm